Friday, March 1, 2013

Fun Food to Make for Your Owl Unit


We recently completed an owl unit for Kindergarden/gr.1. One of the highlights for the boys was the surprise they had when I made them some themed foods. On the Monday I set out an owl themed lunch. Very simple sandwich with some edible imbellishments and an orange for the bright moon. Here it is :


I also made them some very yummy owl themed cookies which were a big success.
I'm going to share my family recipe with you that I got from my 93year old Nanny. Her shortbread is an absolute must at Christmas so a couple of weeks ago when my 11 year old requested it I had some mixed feelings - Shortbread ? In March ? Is that even allowed ???  In the spirit of bringing joy to my children I breached with the Christmas only mentality and made it ! Are you ready ? Here goes :

1 c butter
1 3/4 c flour
1/2 c icing sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
Go ahead and mix it all up by hand until it's smooth and in a ball.
I like to roll mine out on parchment to about 1/4inch thickness.

For the owls use a round cookie cutter , if you don't have one use the open end of a drinking glass.
Roll out two pea size balls and place them where you want the eyes. Gently press down with your finger.
Your cookies should be looking like this - 

Now just lightly press a chocolate chip into each eye space and press in a cashew for his beak.
Use a fork to mark his feet.
Does it look like this ?

You're doing great ! Though you should really have preheated your oven to 350.....
Clean up while you wait. Or leave me a comment.....
When the oven is ready you want to bake them for 10-12 minutes. And voila !
Enjoy ! And don't forget to come check out our facebook page !


No comments:

Post a Comment