Friday, March 1, 2013

Owl Unit for Jk - Gr.1

 Last week we had a wonderful time learning about owls ! Most of the activities were great for my 4 year old and 6 year old and my 2 year old also enjoyed participating in the readings, singing and many of the activities.




The boys really enjoyed handling and experiencing the feathers


We started with our Language craft activity for my four year old


At lunch time the boys were delighted by my surprise theme lunch

On Tuesday I added more materials to our morning reading, singing and calendar time




They explored our real birds nest and the tiny skull of another bird that my father had found and given us (A real treat for homeschoolers !)
The boys learned that owls eat their prey whole and then spit up all the bones, fur and feathers.






Some owls use abandoned nests for their homes. Others live in hollowed trees or burrows left behind from other animals. Some even life in barn lofts and some will share their homes.
My four year old builds his owl a nest of his own.







Everyone needs a little love....















Whoooo could resist this afternoon snack ?
You can check out how to make them at
http://growingbygraceeveryday.blogspot.ca/2013/03/fun-food-to-make-for-your-owl-unit-we.html








I found this darling printable at
www.lakeshorelearning.com






My 4 year old and 6 year old chose a favourite owl to illustrate and find interesting facts about their owl.
This page is from handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com.

It was a great unit and I hope you try it too ! Let me know how your week goes !





No comments:

Post a Comment